Monday, April 4, 2011

Financial Peace


Last Fall Tyler and I decided to take Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University classes through the Grove. Tyler's dad was the one who brought it up with us. He was leading the 2nd session of classes and had seen how great the program was the first time around. He suggested that all of us Ellises take the class together. I was really hesitant about it at first! Tyler and I had worked really hard to create a budget during our pre-marital counseling and we were doing a good job sticking to it. The only debt we had were our student loans, we didn't use credit cards or have a heap of credit card debt, so I really didn't see how the class would really help us. I had heard of some people who had taken Financial Peace and sort of went off the deep end with it! I was afraid Dave Ramsey was going to be a crazy man who told us to never spend money or do anything fun! I was wrong!

I am so thankful we took the Financial Peace course. It really has brought me so much peace. Dave emphasizes "Living like no one else, so you can live like no one else." He advocates for a debt-free lifestyle. I like it.:) He takes biblical principles about money and makes them practical to everyone taking the course. I love that Dave emphasizes the importance of tithing and charitable giving; the more debt-free you are the more you can give. So good. Like I mentioned above, the only debt Tyler and I have is our student loans (can I just say I am so thankful we don't have credit card debt?...hearing some of the stories from the class about people with credit card debt was astonishing), and with the help of the Financial Peace course we have been able to set some goals to attack those loans and hopefully pay them off early! Sometimes it feels like the student loans are hanging over our heads (no peace there!) and that we will never pay them off, but I know with hard work and diligence we will. Living on a budget brings me so much peace. Everything we purchase falls under a category; if we have used up our monthly allotment in a particular category, well then that purchase has to wait until the next month.:) Tyler and I have been able to prioritize and decide where we want our money to go. It definitely requires sacrifices sometimes. Since our move we have made the decision to not have cable; it's not something we need, and we can put that money somewhere else. Some days I wish we had cable so I can channel surf and watch some of my favorite shows, but for right now I know we are making a small sacrifice to achieve a greater goal. I must also say that it's so wonderful to have financial peace in my marriage. Tyler and I developed our budget together, we are on the same page, we have the same goals, there is no guesswork. One thing Tyler and I talked about before we got married was that we never wanted finances to come between us. Money can cause so much stress in a marriage. I think we are in a good place and are taking intentional steps to make sure money does not become a blockade in our relationship. I think every young engaged or married couple should take the Financial Peace course.

We live in a world that is constantly telling us that debt is okay, that car payments and credit cards are the way of life...not true. I am so thankful for Dave Ramsey's course and his passion to help people live a fuller, debt-free life.

I would recommend Financial Peace to all of my friends and family! Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment