Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day


Today is Mother's Day and it has been sort of a hard day. I called my mom this morning to wish her a happy day and as soon as I got off the phone I started bawling. I am used to being away from her now and not seeing her often, but I guess it just felt harder today considering it's Mother's Day. I miss my mom so very much. She is an incredible lady who has had many painful moments in her life. She has not had it easy, but she is a woman of incredible strength and dignity. I look up to her in so many ways. If I could be half the mother she is to me to my own children someday, I would feel accomplished. Her and I have a strong bond. She has always been there for me and still is. We talk every few days and our conversations always brighten my day. I admire my mom for some many reasons, here are just a few of them:

1) My mom is a hard worker. Seriously, she is. She has worked for the same company for over 30 years. Crazy. She never had the privilege to be a stay at home mom like many of her friends and many of my friends' moms growing up. She always had to work. It was really hard on her when we were growing up. She would rush home from work every night and couldn't wait to hear about our days at school. It killed her to leave us in daycare when we were small, but she did what she had to do. My dad and my mom have both been an incredible example of what it means to work hard. They taught both my brother and I that if you really want something, you work hard for it. My Mom has sacrificed SO much for me throughout my life. I owe so much of my work ethic to her.

2) My mom is a clean freak! I swore I would never be like her. She can spot a minuscule spot in the carpet or a smudge on a coffee table from 100 feet away. It's crazy! She
HAS to have a spotless kitchen. She can't stand a dirty bathroom or clutter. Guess what? I AM NOW A CLEAN FREAK! I swear I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I can't concentrate or get anything done if I see clutter. I have trouble sleeping if my kitchen isn't spotless. I mop and vacuum every couple of days and clean our bathroom multiple times a week. I can't handle dust. I just can't. It's bad. Tyler is very clean himself, so we are quite the clean couple.:) I definitely owe my "clean freakishness" to my beautiful Mom.

3) She is one of the most generous people I know. I can't even count how many times I have come home to find a package sitting by the door or a card in the mail from my mom. Her reason for sending a gift or card?..."Just because I love you." My latest gift from her...
MAC makeup! I came home to a little package and inside was a beautiful MAC blush compact. She definitely knows me well!;)

4) She is an amazing hostess. I grew up with people always in our home! My mom loves to have family and friends over for dinner. She loves to entertain and cook big meals. She always let me host get-togethers with my friends in high school and college at our house. She is also an amazing cook! I have learned so much from her and I am thankful that she started teaching me how to cook from a young age! I have taken many spiritual gift inventories and my main spiritual gift always turns out to be hospitality. Guess who I take after?;) I
LOVE having friends over for dinner. I look forward to our small group every Thursday and teenagers over-taking our living room. I love to cook and bake! I adore family get-togethers! I love to entertain people even though we live in a little apartment! :) Thanks Mom for passing your love of entertaining on to me.:)

5) My mom LOVES holidays!!! Have you met me? I AM A HOLIDAY FANATIC!! Celebrate should be my middle name. Christmas is my favorite holiday, but really I love them all.:) My mom decorates for every season and every holiday. I am already finding myself doing the same thing. At Christmas she has always turned our house into a winter wonderland. One day, I will own enough Christmas decorations to do the same thing! She has instilled a love for holidays in me that I will always hold on to. She always makes holidays special too! In our family we will find any excuse to celebrate!

6) She is the best nurse. Really, she is. Tyler takes amazing care of me when I am not feeling well, but when I am sick I seem to miss my mom so much more.


My mom is just incredible. She has always set an example to love God even when life is hard, to love others even when they let you down and to give to others even when you might not have what you need yourself.

I love you Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment